Meet The Remarkable Dentists of Athens Smiles
We are passionate about helping you take care of your overall dental health.
Dr. Zachary Powell: CEO and Owner
Dr. Powell currently holds the position of CEO as well as dentist for a multi-location model that serves the Georgia region with locations in Alma, St Simons Island, Sugar Hill and Athens. He is one of the most serving dentists in Georgia, specializing in comprehensive, implant and family dentistry. He has been in private practice for 18 years and enjoys treating patients of all ages and all walks of life throughout the state of Georgia. In addition to practicing dentistry, Dr. Powell is also a dental and business consultant throughout the state, with extensive experience in medical/dental offices and real estate development. He has nearly 20 years of leadership experience in both a professional and civic capacity and has held positions at the local, state and national levels. Dr. Powell is committed to ethics, patient advocacy and grassroots-organized dentistry.
Dr. Powell graduated with bachelor’s degrees in biology and zoology before acquiring his D.M.D. degree from the Medical College of Georgia School of Dentistry. He later returned to dental school to complete a surgical implant rotation.
Dr. Powell is very active in local, regional, state and national dental associations and has been recognized with awards for his leadership and expertise.
- 2011 Medical College of Georgia School of Dentistry, Surgical Implant Rotation
- 1999 Medical College of Georgia School of Dentistry, DMD
- 1993 University of Georgia, BS Biology
- 1992 University of Georgia, BS Zoology
- Present – Owner , Sugar Hill Dentistry, Buford , GA
- 2013-Present – Owner, Alma Family Dentistry, Alma, GA
- Present- Owner, Dentistry in Redfern, Saint Simons Island, GA
- Present – Partner, Medicus LLC, Cumming, GA
- Previous Positions Held:
- Partner, Madison Dental Group, Madison, GA
- Former Owner, Powell Family Dentistry, Cumming, GA
- Former Owner, Powell Family Dentistry, Dacula, GA
- Former Owner, Powell Family Dentistry, Lawrenceville, GA
- Former Associate, Dr. James R. (Jim Bob) Williamson, Lilburn, GA
- Former Pathologist Assistant, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA
- Recipient, Honorary Fellow, bestowed by the Pierre Fauchard Academy
- Recipient, Honorary Fellow, bestowed by the Georgia Dental Association
- Recipient, Pierre Fauchard Scholarship, Medical College of Georgia
- Member, Magill Society, The Georgia Bulldog Club, University of Georgia
- Member, American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry
- Member, Georgia Dental Association (Southeastern District)
- Member, Georgia Dental Association (Northern District)
- Member, American Dental Association
- Member, Hinman Dental Society
- Member, Academy of General Dentistry
- Southeast Georgia Chairman, Pierre Fauchard Academy
- Southeastern District Delegate, Georgia Dental Association
- President, Glynn County Dental Society
- Reserve Chairman, Thomas P. Hinman Dental Meeting
- Alternate Delegate, Georgia Dental Association
- Auxiliary Chairman, Thomas P. Hinman Dental Meeting
- 2007 Training Participant, Georgia Dental Association Spokesperson
- Board of Directors, Frederica Academy, Saint Simons Island, GA
- Board of Directors, Humane Society of South Coastal Georgia
- Give Back a Smile Program for domestic violence, AACD for Georgia
- Advisory Board, Affinity Bank, Atlanta, GA
- Board of Directors, YMCA, Forsyth County
- International Service Chairman, Rotary Club of Forsyth County
Dr. Rachel Clay
Dr. Rachel Clay attended Hendrix College in Arkansas receiving her Bachelor’s in Chemistry with Minors in Biology, Art and Accounting. She continued her education at University of Tennessee graduating with her Doctor of Dental Science (DDS). Dr. Clay did her Residency at Brookdale University Hospital.
Dr. Clay had many accomplishments during her time at University of Tennessee include being a part of Student National Dental Association and receiving awards for Highest GPA in her class. She also received the Pediatric Dentistry Award of Excellence.
Dr. Clay is married to K. Chad Clay. They reside in Athens and in their spare time enjoy camping, hiking and spending time with their dog. Dr. Clay and her husband love SEC football and you will find them cheering on the DAWGS during football season.
Dr. Clay has been serving the Athens area since 2012. She loves expanding her expertise by taking many hours of CE each year, she is a member of the ADA, GDA and Eastern District Dental Society. Dr. Clay loves meeting new patients and enjoys helping to make a difference in each patient.
Dr. Charles (Chuck) Chambers
Dr. Chuck Chambers graduated with a degree in engineering from Georgia Tech and then attended the Medical College of GA School of Dentistry. He is originally from Dublin, GA but has called Athens home since graduating dental school in 1999.
Dr. Chambers is married to Jill, and has a young daughter, Charlie Rose. They reside in Athens and enjoy spending time together as a family and with their two rescue dogs, Gus and Honey. They also have 3 chickens (Charlies’s Angels), named Dolly, Lo’Reba and Minnie Pearl. In his spare time Dr. Chambers enjoys building guitar amps.
Dr. Chambers has practiced dentistry for 20+ years in the Athens and Watkinsville areas. He continues to expand his expertise by participating in many hours of CE each year. He is a member of the American Dental Association, Georgia Dental Association and former President of Clarke County Dental Society. Dr. Chambers enjoys meeting new patients and providing exceptional dental care.